Sunday, November 18, 2007

Put your hands together for Friends Thanksgiving!

Tonight we had our annual "Friends Thanksgiving". I've been living in the Charlotte area for over seven years, and every year since I have been here, we have had Thanksgiving dinner at my friend Sherry's house. It's potluck, and we drink wine and say a blessing and enjoy each other's company. It's one of my favorite "friend" events of the whole year.



Friend Thanksgiving has changed quite a bit since its innaugural year. Initially, there were only 10-15 of us, most of us single, definitely no kids, and we generally did more drinking than eating. As the years have gone by, many friends have moved away, but many new friends and husbands/wives have joined our core group...as well as babies of those friends. It's an event that leaves my tummy and heart full every year.



This year was Landon's first year at Friends Thanksgiving (well, on the outside of the belly, that is). He was passed around quite a bit, but our little boy was quite the socialite and seemed to enjoy all of the attention. In fact, he might just turn out to be a little bit of a ham. Today Landon learned how to clap, and he made sure that he let everyone see tonight. What started out as mimicking his daddy this afternoon turned into a pefected and favorite pastime by this evening. His tiny little right hand stays steady while he swings his little left hand to make the tiniest little clapping noise. But that tiny little noise is a big accomplishment for our little guy, and I find myself saying to him, "You are so cool!"



So, I have a lot to be thankful for this year. I'm thankful for all those friends at Friends Thanksgiving. I'm thankful for my husband because he is an amazing daddy, and I didn't know I could love him more until I saw him hold our son in his arms earlier this year, and I'm thankful for our healthy baby boy, who, with every little clap of his hands makes me realize just how blessed I am.

No comments: